Firearms 202: The Next Step
Intermediate Handgun Course
$90 per person
This is the course many of you have asked for!
If you want to learn more advanced skills in a safe, structured shooting environment, this is the course for you! This is not a beginner’s course. You must already possess basic handgun shooting skills. We will build your skills from your established fundamentals.
At this point in your development as a shooter, you should have your own gun and shooting gear. We do not loan or rent guns for this course. It is pointless to train on someone else’s equipment. It is imperative that you advance up the training ladder using your own gun. If you do not own a gun, and have never received training in how to use one, you should take our Firearms 101 or CCW course first. Training from other recognized schools is usually accepted. Call us if you are unsure.
In this course you will learn:
- Principles of Personal Defense
- Modes of Readiness
- Introduction to Tactics
- Drawing and Shooting from a Holster
- Movement Drills: Shooting While Moving
- Strong Hand and Weak Hand Shooting
- How to Clear Malfunctions
- Rapid Fire: Timed Drills to Improve Your Ability to Function Under Stress
- Multiple Shots on a Single Assailant
- Multiple Shots on Multiple Assailants
- Instinctive Point Shooting: Extreme Close Quarters Shooting
- Stressfire / Sight Reference Shooting Techniques
- Sighted Shooting and Accuracy Optimization
- Shooting behind cover, using barricades
- Extra: Friendly, fun competition events on reactive steel targets! Compete against your fellow shooters, your spouse, or against the clock.
- New for 2017! Try the official FBI qualification course. It is challenging. Requires 60 rounds.
Sign Up For the Firearms 202 Course:
- Look at the calendar. This is a seasonal, weather dependent course, run once per month, typically from May through Ootober.
- Call John at 775.842.6409 to reserve your slot by credit card. The course is $90 per person.
- No discounts apply to this course.
- No refunds will be issued if you cancel or don’t show up after you pay. We run this course with six (6) people, and we are counting on you to be there!
- If we cancel or re-schedule for any reason, then a refund will be issued to you.
Note: No shows” with no call ahead will forfeit payment for the class. An email or text is not sufficient – you must call the instructor at 775.842.6409.
Course Requirements, Gear, and Details
- Proof of prior handgun training, such as Firearms 101, Nevada CCW course, or equivalent course from another school. Call us to discuss this if you are not sure.
- Modern semi-auto handgun is preferred. No revolvers unless you can reload VERY quickly. You will find it very difficult to keep up with the drills, unless you can reload quickly! No single action revolvers, please. This is not a Cowboy Action Shooting event.
- 300 rounds of ammo. Bring more if you want to compete in the competition shooting segment.
- A strong leather or nylon belt to hold your holstered gun and spare mags. Dress belts are generally unacceptable.
- Strong-side (shooting hand side) belt-mounted holster OR a concealed carry device. If you use a cross draw device let us know in advance, as there are safety issues to discuss.
- Minimum three (3) magazines. Four (4) mags are recommended. You’ll be doing do a lot of shooting and magazine changes, so you’ll really need these extra mags, trust me.
- Magazine pouch to hold your spare mags.
- Magazine loader helpers (strongly recommended), such as the UPLULA. We have loaner UPLULA mag loaders, but it’s best if you have your own.
- Range bag to hold all your shooting related gear
- Gun oil and cleaning cloth
- Eye protection. We have loaners, if you need them.
Ear protection. Foam ear plugs are good, standard ear muffs are better, but Electronic Noise Canceling Ear Protectors are best, such as these are strongly recommended. You will need to hear the instructor’s commands on the shooting line.
- Extra batteries for your electronic ears.
- Ball cap or hat with visor (aka hot brass deflector)
- Sun block (strongly recommended)
- Hand cleaning wipes
- Folding chair (optional, but recommended)
- Water, lunch, and/or snacks
- No hand-loaded ammo. New, or commercially re-manufactured ammo is OK.
- No sweatpants, jogging suits, lounge wear, or pajamas. Get serious.
- No bare feet, open toe shoes, sandals, flip-flops, or crocs.
- Ladies: No low-cut shirts or tops. Read why here or See why here
- Lastly, safety violations (sweeping others with the muzzle, handling a gun behind the line, shooting before a “commence fire” command has been given, etcetera) will result in your expulsion from the range, with no refund. You will be given one warning and correction. No second warning will be given. We will have a safety orientation before the class begins, so please pay attention.